YOU ARE HERE: Archives for garage

Posts tagged: garage


Garage sales and gardens

by Ed Mead

Interestingly I’ve just been asked to dispose of a chunk of garden. It sounds simple and relatively inexpensive. A couple of years ago an agent in Knightsbridge was asked to dispose of a garage, and by the way this story has buggered up almost all garage sales since.

The agent suggested a guide that sounded pretty punchy, c. £150k I recall, and expected to get offers on what was, after all, a single lock up garage with no other planning angles. What they didn’t expect was to get two super rich egos to decide they wanted to have a ‘mine’s bigger than yours’ competition. The resulting price was over four times the guide and the owner must have though all their Christmases had come at once.Stucco fronted porticoed houses in Knightsbridge

I’m not sure the garden will go the same way but it is possible. Surrounded by some of the most expensive real estate anywhere in the world, nine stucco fronted porticoed jobbies to be precise, lived in mostly I suspect by people who move money around and get paid a fortune for doing so.

It’ll be fascinating to see what someone will pay to add c.1000 sq ft of outside space, that can only ever be a garden, to their pile especially given that one or two are woefully short on outside space. More soon……….

Ed Mead is a regular contributor to The Big Property List blog.  An Estate Agent for over 30 years, he has been writing and commentating on the market for over half of that as the Sunday Times Property Expert and The Agent Provocateur for the Telegraph.  He sits on the Board of The Property Ombudsman Ltd, has a regular LBC slot, and is happy to say it as it is.

Other places you can find him online are the Douglas & Gordon blog and Twitter


Bookmark and Share
from → Ed Mead, property

Do you need planning permission for your shed?

by admin

A friend recently asked me for advice about his neighbour’s shed. When I say shed, I mean minature house in the back garden.  This building is red-brick, single storey with a pitched and tiled roof and double glazed.  You could live in there easily.  Well I could.

So I decided to refresh my memory of the Planning Law on this subject.  A quick google search led to the excellent national Planning Portal which not only sets out the rules in as clear a manner as possible but also has a 3-D demo!  It wasn’t like this when I studied Town and Country Planning I can tell you.

In brief, outbuildings are now (since October 2008) covered by permitted development rights – a type of planning classification which says that you have automatic planning permission without application subject to certain restrictions.

The main general restrictions are that the house is not listed and that you’re outside ‘Designated land’, which includes national parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

So if you’re not in one of those, you qualify for permitted development rights.  The specific restrictions for an outbuilding (such as a shed, dog kennels, garage or study) are:

Does your shed need planning permission?

  • No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation. (that means not in front of the house).
  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container  within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse (that means the boundary of the whole plot).
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms (where are we Australia? It’s too cold for a veranda anyway, surely!).
  • No more than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings.

You can see the visual demonstration of the rules by clicking here.

Unfortunately for my friend, his neighbour’s ‘outhouse’ was within the height, area and location requirements and so qualified for permitted development and so can be deemed to have planning permission.  If you’re planning to build an outhouse an are still unsure of the rules, don’t be afraid to phone up your local council planning department and ask for advice – after all they’re there to help you.

Bookmark and Share


    When you buy or sell a house in the UK you need a solicitor to prepare and exchange the contract of sale. Find the best price for conveyancing by using our quote tool to get prices from hundreds of solicitors in your area.

    Get Quotes